The family lawyers at Berman & Asbel, LLP, place a premium on providing personalized legal services to couples and families in Pennsylvania. We can help ensure that a child brought into your family through assisted reproduction is truly yours by utilizing detailed surrogacy agreements and other legal documents.
Your family is the most important part of your life, which is why obtaining your goals quickly is the most important part of ours.
Adding a Child to Your Family Through Surrogacy
At the Media, Pennsylvania, law firm of Berman & Asbel, LLP, we help married couples who are unable to have a baby address fertility problems by working with egg donors and surrogate mothers. Our attorneys also assist gay and lesbian couples who wish to have a baby. For every couple, we help with issues related to adoption, gestational surrogacy and traditional surrogacy.
Traditional and Gestational Surrogacy
Our firm helps draft legal contracts and addresses family planning needs of people using assisted reproduction technology such as:
- Traditional or gestational surrogacy
- Artificial insemination
- Sperm and egg donation
Assisted reproduction involving a third party requires careful planning to prevent complications or disputes arising down the road. It is very important to have legal agreements with donors, the surrogate mother and other involved parties to ensure the process ends with you being legally recognized as a child's parents. For example, a surrogate mother's or gestational carrier's spouse, if she is married, must also sign legal papers. Proper planning can help ensure you do not experience the emotional turmoil so many families have experienced when an agreement falls apart.
Drafting Necessary Documents to Ensure Success
Our skilled attorneys can draft the following documents as appropriate to your situation:
- Pre-birth orders or surrogacy agreements, which are agreements before a pregnancy between a couple and the surrogate mother that the surrogate will give up parental and custody rights to the child (traditional surrogacy in which the surrogate provides the egg and is impregnated with the intended father's sperm). Pre-birth orders only apply to gestational carriers, and second parent adoption is required with traditional surrogates.
- Gestational carrier agreements, which are agreements between a couple and a gestational carrier who is not the biological mother of the child (gestational surrogacy in which the child is carried to term by the carrier after an embryo — usually formed with the intended parent's sperm and egg — is implanted in her uterus).
- Adoption documents, through which a second parent legally adopts a child carried by a surrogate and has legal custody.
- Other important documents according to state adoption and surrogacy laws.
Assisted Reproduction Services for Nontraditional Families
We are especially attuned to diverse types of families that wish to have a child of their own. Our attorneys assist same-sex couples who want to have a baby who is the biological child of one of the partners, as well as same-sex married couples who wish to add a child to their family. We draft agreements and adoption papers for two men using traditional surrogacy to have a child. For two women using a sperm donor, we help draft agreements that legally state that both women are the legal parents and can assist with obtaining a pre-birth parentage order or second parent adoption.
Contact Us Now for Your Initial Consultation
Please schedule your initial consultation to discuss how you can go about adding a child to your family. Our lawyers can be reached by calling 484-842-0276 or by contacting our Media family law office online.