Our family law attorneys at Berman & Asbel, LLP, have stayed up-to-date on changes affecting same-sex couples to provide a full range of family law services throughout the greater Philadelphia area.
We offer honest, knowledgeable advice to same-sex couples who are married or are looking to marry, but we realize that marriage is not right for everyone. We also offer our services to same-sex couples who do not wish to marry but need help with adoption, estate planning or securing other rights for the betterment of their relationship.
Contact our family law attorneys in Media, Pennsylvania, to discuss how we can help you obtain and enforce your rights in a same-sex relationship.
Same-Sex Divorce in Pennsylvania
Along with the right to marry come the obligations and stresses that are part of any relationship, gay or straight. Our lawyers recognize this and help same-sex couples who need help navigating Pennsylvania's divorce process. Throughout the process, we will help you resolve issues pertaining to:
- Property division
- Child custody or visitation arrangements
- Spousal support
- Postnuptial agreements
- Anything else specific to your situation
Other Services for LGBT Couples
At Berman & Asbel, LLP, we offer family law services tailored to helping unmarried same-sex couples obtain the rights they want, including:
- Property rights: The way an asset is titled has an impact on the rights of the owners. We advise same-sex couples on matters regarding establishing joint ownership of real estate, bank accounts and other assets. In addition, we assist couples in drafting cohabitation agreements that set forth rights and procedures should the relationship be dissolved. In addition, we negotiate property separation agreements when necessary.
- Medical rights: For married couples (opposite and same-sex), when one spouse is incapacitated or requires medical care, the other spouse may speak with doctors and make medical decisions on behalf of his or her spouse. However, for unmarried heterosexual and same-sex couples, since the relationship is not recognized, the competent partner cannot make decisions about health care or finances and may not even be allowed to obtain information from doctors about the current conditions of his or her partner. We assist clients who wish to grant their partners medical powers of attorney for these very critical situations, so that their partners can have access to visit their loved ones, make decisions on health care and handle financial matters.
- Estate planning: Thorough estate planning, using wills and trusts, enables same-sex partners to obtain inheritance rights that otherwise would not be available to unmarried partners. We ensure compliance with Pennsylvania laws so that wills stand up to challenges brought by family members who are not accepting of the relationship.
- Building a family: For many people, a pivotal aspect of a committed relationship involves starting a family. There are opportunities that enable gay and lesbian partners to build their families. Our attorneys assist same-sex couples in achieving their goal to have a family. We handle the legal aspects of assisted reproduction, including drafting detailed surrogacy agreements and other documents. We also advise and assist clients with adoptions by gay couples and second-parent adoptions.
Contact Us Today for an Initial Consultation
At Berman & Asbel, LLP, we are eager to help you achieve your goals. Contact us online or call 484-842-0276 to schedule an initial consultation to discuss your questions and concerns.