Berman & Asbel, LLP We offer quality legal services with a personal touch.
Call For a Free Initial Consultation

Child Support Archives

Using child support funds appropriately

The purpose of child support is to ensure that Pennsylvania children have a living situation that is as similar as possible to the one they experienced when their parents were married or together. Generally speaking, child support should be spent on things like food, shelter and clothing for children. It may also be spent on school supplies or medical bills.

The Deadbeat Parents Punishment Act

Pennsylvania parents who receive or are required to pay child support should be aware of the Deadbeat Parents Punishment Act, or DPPA. Created in 1998, it is a federal child support law that targets individuals who purposely try to avoid making child support payments by relocating to another state.

Incarcerated parents may have child support modified

On Jan. 19, Barack Obama signed a regulation that would allow incarcerated parents in all states to request a modification in child support based on a change in circumstances. Pennsylvania already allowed this. However, in several other states, this was not permitted because incarceration was considered voluntary unemployment.

President Obama addresses prisoner child support rules

Pennsylvania is one of 36 states that allow child support orders to be modified or suspended if the custodial parent is incarcerated. However, imprisonment is viewed as voluntary unemployment in many parts of the country. Therefore, released prisoners may face crippling debts when their child support obligations have been mounting for months or even years. This has been linked to a variety of social ills including increased crime and higher recidivism rates.

Inmates and child support modifications

Pennsylvania non-custodial parents who are incarcerated and who have been ordered to pay child support usually can seek a modification of the order. However, 14 states do not allow parents who are in jail or prison to lower their child support obligations or make it very hard to do so. The Obama administration is moving to put regulations in place by Jan. 20 that will change this. These regulations will require states to set amounts that take a prisoner's income into account.

Paying for a child's sport as a divorced parent

Helping Pennsylvania kids reach their sports dreams can be time consuming and expensive. For many single or divorced parents, finding the money to support those dreams can be quite difficult. This is especially true if both parents do not agree on how much should be spent on particular activities.

Wiz Khalifa and Amber Rose file divorce settlement

Rapper, songwriter and actor Wiz Khalifa will be able to remain in his luxurious Pennsylvania home and continue to enjoy his collection of rare American muscle cars under a divorce settlement filed on June 6. The deal reportedly calls for Khalifa's former wife, the model and actress Amber Rose, to be paid a sum of $1 million. Reports indicate that Khalifa has already paid Rose $356,000.

Contact Us Today

Contact Us Now For A Free Initial Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Berman & Asbel, LLP
20 West Third Street
Media, PA 19063

Phone: 484-842-0276
Fax: 610-565-7083
Media Law Office Map

Review Us