Berman & Asbel, LLP

50 Cent asked to pay more child support for son's education

Pennsylvania fans of rapper 50 Cent may have heard that he has a difficult relationship with his son and his ex, Shaniqua Thompkins, who is requesting more child support for their 19-year-old son Marquise so that she can pay for his college education. Their child support agreement stipulates that 50 Cent pay support for Marquise until he is 21. 50 Cent currently pays $6,700 monthly.

Thompkins' attorney described the case as "ongoing." However, Marquise and 50 Cent are estranged. The rapper disowned his son via text messages that went public after he attempted to visit and Marquise did not answer the door.

Parents who pay child support must continue to do so even if he or she is estranged from his or her son and ex-partner as in this case. Support and visitation are separate issues. A custodial parent is permitted to ask for a child support modification as Thompkins has done in this case.

A parent who pays child support also has the legal right to request a modification. For example, the parent might lose his or her job and be unable to continue making payments. Parents may attempt to lay the groundwork for a less contentious relationship after a divorce by making an effort to negotiate child custody before turning to litigation. While it can be a difficult time, parents should keep in mind that a judge will be guided by the child's best interest, and the court usually tries to ensure that a child has contact with both parents.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

attorney image